Epoisses de Bourgogne was invented at the beginning of the sixteenth century by Cistercian monks and named after the town where it was first produced. It is considered by many to be one of the stinkiest cheeses in the world. During the aging process, French cheesemakers wash the rind of the cheese with Marc de Bourgogne, a local brandy. This gives it its characteristic orange colour and distinct smelly rind.
Made from cow’s milk, this cheese has a creamy, chewy and firm texture. Despite its pungent smell, it has a sweet, spicy and salty flavour with undertones of dried fruit.
Époisses can be eaten on its own or as part of a larger cheese board. Serve with honey and fresh fruits. But it is also fabulous baked in its box in a similar way to Camembert. Simply use it as a dip with slices of warm crusty bread or even better some delicious walnut and raison bread.
Cheese and Wine Pairing
Epoisses de Bourgogne was also one of Napoleon’s favourite cheeses who enjoyed it with a bottle of Chambertin which pairs perfectly with it. Equally delicious with a chilled glass of our wonderful White Burgundy, Pouilly-Fuisse ‘Vieilles Vignes’ from Domaine Sève. Why don’t you give it a try!
Although nearly any food is capable of causing an allergic reaction, only the bellow listed foods account for 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions. These foods are:
- Cereals containing gluten, namely: wheat (such as spelt and Khorasan wheat), rye, barley, oats
- Crustaceans for example prawns, crabs, lobster, crayfish
- Nuts; namely almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, macadamia (or Queensland) nuts
- Celery (including celeriac)
- Sulphur dioxide/sulphites, where added and at a level above 10mg/kg in the finished product. This can be used as a preservative in dried fruit
- Lupin which includes lupin seeds and flour and can be found in types of bread, pastries and pasta
- Molluscs like clams, mussels, whelks, oysters, snails and squid
This section is for information purposes on common food allergens, and provides assistance for avoiding these ingredients. If you are unsure or you need more information on certain products please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Urban Merchants we pride ourselves on our service levels and strive to offer you a first-class delivery service. To learn more about your delivery options or how to track your order, please see our Delivery Information
If you need to cancel or return any unwanted non-perishable items, please see our Refund and Refund Policy
Please note we CANNOT accept the cancellation and return of any orders that contain item/s that are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly. Therefore, we are unable to accept cancellations or returns for any orders that contain any chilled, refrigerated or flash frozen products after it has been dispatched to you.
Cheese: Epoisses de Bourgogne, 250g
Milk: Cow’s Milk
Type: Semi-soft, artisan
Flavours: Spicy, Salty, Dried Fruit
Allergen Information: Dairy, Trace of Nuts