Perail Papillon is a soft-ripened, flat disc cheese made of sheep’s milk in Aveyron in the Midi-Pyrénées. The French cheesemakers of Perail Papillon heat and curdle sheep’s milk with rennet. They then drain the resulting curds, shape them into small rounds, and leave them to age for a few days. During this time, the cheese develops its characteristic rind and flavour.
Its rind is smooth and when cut open reveals a pale-yellow centre that is soft and deliciously creamy. Like most sheep’s milk cheeses, Perail Papillon has a distinct aroma with rich buttery flavours. There is also a sweet earthiness that linger on the palate. As it ages, the cheese becomes more pungent and develops a stronger flavour.
It is specially ripened in wooden moulds as it has the tendency to get quite runny at room temperature making it perfect to spread on warm crusty bread or crackers. Serve with our Black Cherry and Thyme Jam and a handful of roasted nuts and fresh fruits.
Cheese and Wine Pairing
Try Perail Papillon with our refreshing Albariño as its acidity will cut through the richness of the cheese without overpowering it or a chilled glass of our Côtes de Provence Rosé.
Although nearly any food is capable of causing an allergic reaction, only the bellow listed foods account for 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions. These foods are:
- Cereals containing gluten, namely: wheat (such as spelt and Khorasan wheat), rye, barley, oats
- Crustaceans for example prawns, crabs, lobster, crayfish
- Nuts; namely almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, macadamia (or Queensland) nuts
- Celery (including celeriac)
- Sulphur dioxide/sulphites, where added and at a level above 10mg/kg in the finished product. This can be used as a preservative in dried fruit
- Lupin which includes lupin seeds and flour and can be found in types of bread, pastries and pasta
- Molluscs like clams, mussels, whelks, oysters, snails and squid
This section is for information purposes on common food allergens, and provides assistance for avoiding these ingredients. If you are unsure or you need more information on certain products please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Urban Merchants we pride ourselves on our service levels and strive to offer you a first-class delivery service. To learn more about your delivery options or how to track your order, please see our Delivery Information
If you need to cancel or return any unwanted non-perishable items, please see our Refund and Refund Policy
Please note we CANNOT accept the cancellation and return of any orders that contain item/s that are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly. Therefore, we are unable to accept cancellations or returns for any orders that contain any chilled, refrigerated or flash frozen products after it has been dispatched to you.
Cheese: Perail Papillon, 100g
Milk: Sheep milk
Type: Soft, artisan, soft-ripened
Colour: Pale yellow
Flavours: Full-flavored, strong, earthy undertones
Allergen Information: Dairy, Trace of Nuts