Ingredients (serves 4)
|Lobe of Duck Foie Gras|
|Incanto Olive Oil|
|Pure White Sea Salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|3 Fresh Corn Cobs|
|1 Garlic Clove|
|2 teaspoons Mascarpone Cheese|
|2 tablespoons Caster Sugar|
|8 Baby Corns, slit in half|
- To make Foie Gras Popcorn, first you must de-vein the foie gras. Then lightly drizzle with some olive oil and season lightly.
- Wrap in foil and chill until ready to serve.
- Strip the kernels off the three fresh cobs and set them aside. Keep the denuded cobs and dry them in a low oven for about an hour.
- To make the corn sauce, put 150 ml of water into a saucepan. Add a third of the sweetcorn kernels, 2 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and some salt and pepper. Simmer for about 8 minutes then remove from the heat and tip into a blender. Whizz until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a sieve placed over a bowl. Rub the mixture through with the back of a ladle. Return the mixture to the pan, mix in the mascarpone and check the seasoning. Keep warm.
- Now place the dried corn cobs in the base of a wok or over barbecue coals and heat until they start to smoke.
- Put the foil parcels of foie gras on a rack on top of the wok or barbecue, cover and cook for 10 mins. Set aside for 10 mins to cool, still in the foil.
- In the meantime, heat a large frying pan until hot and scatter in the remaining corn kernels. Sprinkle with the sugar and shake the pan over a medium heat, cooking the kernels until they are coated in the sugar and beginning to caramelise. Tip out into a bowl to cool.
- Unwrap the foie gras then cut in thick slices. Pan-fry in another hot non-stick frying pan for about 2 minutes until lightly golden on each side. Keep warm whilst you quickly toss in the baby corn to heat in the same pan fat.
- Serve the foie gras with the warmed sauce, small baby corns and caramelised ‘popcorn’ alongside. Et viola, Foie Gras Popcorn!
Buy the entire recipe collection Cuisinier Gascon by Chef Pascal Aussignac.