While Properoni is more than just a pizza topping, there is nothing nicer than a homemade Properoni Pizza with proper pepperoni. This one is particularly straightforward to make, as the dough for the base only needs to rise once. Spruce up with your favourite goat’s cheese and a handful of fresh basil leaves.
This Properoni Pizza is a winning combination and pairs brilliantly with a large glass of our fantastic Sangiovese Riserva Cheers!
Ingredients (serves 4)
|For The Dough|
|250g Strong White Flour, plus extra for dusting|
|1 tsp Fast-Action Dried Yeast|
1 tbsp Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing
|1 Small Garlic Clove, crushed|
|1/2 tsp Salt|
|150-175ml Lukewarm Water|
|For The Topping|
|1 tbsp Olive Oil|
|150ml Tomato Passata|
|80g Sliced Properoni Original|
|200g Goat’s cheese|
|Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper|
|Fresh Basil Leaves, to garnish|
|Basil Olive Oil|
|Sangiovese di Romagna Armigero Riserva, Italy 2017|
- To make the dough, measure the flour, yeast and olive oil into a bowl. Add the garlic and salt (on a separate side of the bowl to the yeast), then gradually pour in the warm water (you may not need it all) and stir with a wooden spoon until combined and a soft dough is formed.
- Tip on to a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes into a smooth dough.
- Oil a large clean bowl, sit the dough in the bowl and cover with cling film. Place in a warm place and leave to rise for 1–1½ hours or until doubled in size. If making in a food mixer fitted with a dough hook, this will take about 4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/Gas 9 and place a large baking sheet inside to get very hot.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, tip on to a floured work surface and knead into a round to lightly knock it back.
- Use your fingers or knuckles to push the dough out into a circle about 30cm (12in) in diameter, slightly thicker at the edges to form the crust of the pizza. Place on a sheet of baking paper spread over a flat baking sheet.
- Season the passata with salt and pepper and spread on top of the dough.
- Scatter with the slices of Original Propane on top before adding dollops of the goat’s cheese.
- Slide the baking paper with the assembled pizza on top on to the hot baking sheet and bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden on top and the dough is cooked.
- Garnish with basil leaves, drizzle a little of our fantastic Basil Olive Oil over the top.
- Serve with a large glass of your favour red red. We highly recommend our delicious Sangiovese Riserva. A great ruby red with ashings of ripe red and black cherries, dried fruit and gentle spices. Buon appetito!