Ingredients (makes 100)
|4 tsp course sea salt flakes|
|300g Madagascan Sambirano Superior 71% chocolate|
|Willie’s Madagascan Gold Chocolate 80g|
|65g pickled lemons, preferably homemade|
|500g caster sugar|
|500g golden or corn syrup|
|400ml double cream|
|130g unsalted butter|
- Lightly oil the baking tin and line with baking paper.
- Prepare the pickled lemons by removing and discarding the pith and pulp. Rinse well, pat dry and chop into very small pieces.
- Place the caster sugar, syrup and cream in a large saucepan over a moderate heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is well blended. Bring to the boil, place a sugar thermometer in the mixture and continue cooking until the temperature reaches 115 °C, then add the butter and stir well to combine. Continue cooking until the temperature of the mixture reaches 140 °C. Stir in the chopped pickled lemons and cook for just 1 minute more. Remove from the heat, stir in half the salt, then pour into the prepared tin. Leave to cool and set at room temperature. When the caramel has almost set but is still slightly soft, cut into 10 strips widthways and lengthways to make 100 pieces.
- Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Temper the chocolate. Using a pair of wooden skewers or a two- pronged fork, dip each caramel piece into the melted chocolate. Shake well to remove any excess chocolate, then place carefully on the lined baking trays.
- Before the chocolate has set, sprinkle a flake or two of the remaining sea salt onto each caramel, then leave to set completely. Store in a single layer in an airtight container. The caramels will keep well in the fridge for 2- 3 weeks. Remove from the fridge about an hour before eating.
Buy the entire recipe collection Willie’s Chocolate Bible (Hardback edition).