Ingredients (serves 4 as a main course)
|4 x 200g Pork T-Bone steaks|
|4 tbsp good quality olive oil|
|Smoked paprika to sprinkle over cucumber salad|
|Splash of good quality white wine, the rest for the chef||View Options|
|6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed|
|2 medium sized snake cucumbers, finely sliced with the skin and all|
|2 spring onions, finely sliced, green part only|
|250ml sour cream|
|Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|½ tsp dry oregano|
|1 lemon, quartered|
|Special equipment needed|
|BBQ, best use charcoal BBQ|
- When making your Transylvanian Garlic Pork T-Bone steak with Cucumber Salad, it is good to try to do some of the preparation the night before. Place the sliced cucumber in a sieve over a mixing bowl and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Mix thoroughly and leave in the fridge for 2 hours or ideally overnight. This will help remove the excess moisture from the cucumber. Discard the liquid.
- Slash the pork skin and fat on the side of each steak with a sharp knife being careful not to cut into the meat.
- Rub the Pork T-bones with garlic, salt and pepper and drizzle them with olive oil and a splash of white wine. Make sure the meat is well coated. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. If you are after maximum flavour try and leave them overnight.
- Remove the meat from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to bring it up to room temperature.
- Heat the BBQ to 160-180C grill temperature
- Using a BBQ tong, lift the steaks up and let the excess oil run off the meat before placing it on the hot grill. This will avoid oil dripping on the hot coals and catching fire causing your steaks to char too quickly on the outside and be underdone on the inside.
- Grill the steaks for 6-8 minutes on each side or until they are nice and golden brown
- Pile the steaks on top of each other matching the skin and fat together. Using your tongs, stand the steaks on their side and grill for 2-3 minutes . This will render or melt the fat so the skin goes lovely and crispy.
- If you can’t do all the steaks together, do them individually. It is well worth the effort to ensure the fat is cooked properly and has that extra crunch. Trust us, you won’t regret it.
- Once you are happy with your steaks, remove them from the grill and let them rest while you prepare the salad.
- Place your cucumbers in a salad bowl and stir in the sour cream and freshly ground pepper. Add the spring onions, stir again, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Time to plate up your Transylvanian Garlic Pork T-Bone steak! Sprinkle the pork steaks with oregano and lightly dust your cucumber salad with some smoked paprika.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon
In Transylvania, this traditional dish known as a Pork Flekken is usually served with chips or sauteed potatoes but serving it with a fresh cucumber salad gives you a lighter and healthier version. However, I am sure no one will judge you for serving some potatoes on the side if you wish but it would certainly be a crime not to serve this dish with some great wine